Kent State Awards & Honors
• 2011 All-MAC Tournament Team
• 2010 Second Team All-MAC
• Letterwinner: 2010, '11
Career Game Highs
At-bats: 6 (four times, last time: Akron, 5/20/11)
Runs: 4 (Pittsburgh, 4/7/10)
Hits: 5 (at Bowling Green, 5/14/11)
RBIs: 4 (vs. Eastern Michigan, 5/28/11)
Doubles: 2 (three times, last time: vs. Bowling Green, 5/25/11)
Triples: 1 (six times, last time: vs. Akron, 5/21/11)
Home Runs: 1 (three times, last time: 5/28/11)
Walks: 2 (four times, last time: vs. Eastern Michigan, 5/26/11)
Stolen Bases: 1 (nine, last time: vs. Eastern Michigan, 5/26/11)
2011 Sophomore Season Highlights
• Successfully made the transition from the infield to the outfield, starting 60 of the 62 games.
• Posted a .302 batting average (fourth on the team), .368 on base percentage and .376 slugging percentage (fifth on the team, eighth in the MAC) with a career-high 74 hits (fifth on the team), career-high 44 runs (tied for third on the team), 11 doubles, two triples, one home grand slam, career-high 23 walks (fifth on the team), career-high 39 RBIs (fifth on the team) and career-high 92 total bases (fifth on the team).
• Batted a .318 with 34 hits -- including six doubles -- and 15 RBIs during conference play.
• Posted 20 multi-hit games to rank fourth on the team, including one with five hits, six with three hits and 13 with two hits.
• Recorded 11 multi-RBI games to rank third on the squad, including one with four RBIs, one with three RBIs and nine with two RBIs.
• Hit .444 with eight hits, seven runs, a double and a triple and four RBIs in the Johnny Gill Memorial Tournament in Winthrop, S.C. Posted his first multi-hit game of the season with two singles and a double to go along with two RBIs and two runs scored as Kent State blanked host Winthrop (2/26), 13-0. Went 2-for-3 with three runs as Kent State bested Wagner (2/27), 13-2. Collected two hits, drove in a run and scored another as Kent State topped Winthrop (2/27), 8-6.
• Accounted for three singles and a run scored at Houston (3/18).
• Hit a team-best .500 with a team-high six hits to help Kent State sweep the weekend series at Western Michigan. Made a spectacular over-the-shoulder catch to end the ninth inning and help propel Kent State to a 3-2 victory in the 10th inning in the series opener (4/1). Went 3-for-5 with an RBI in a 4-1 victory, then went 2-for-3 with a run scored in a 2-1 win as Kent State took both games in a Saturday (4/2) doubleheader.
• Gave Youngstown State's pitching fits in back-to-back games. Collected three hits and scored a run as Kent State downed YSU (4/12) at home, then followed it up with two more hits to go with two RBIs the following day on the road at Youngstown State (4/13) in 5-2 triumph for Kent State.
• Batted .308 with four hits and five RBIs to help Kent State sweep the season series over Buffalo. Collected two hits -- including a double -- to go with two RBIs as Kent State downed Buffalo (4/22), 7-5. Tallied two hits and three RBIs in game one of a Saturday (4/23) doubleheader, helping Kent State roll to a 13-3 win.
• Went 2-for-5 with a double, two RBIs and a run scored as Kent State blanked Ohio, 4-0, in game one of a Saturday (4/30) doubleheader sweep.
• Posted two singles and scored three runs as Kent State routed rival Miami (5/7), 14-1.
• Had a huge series at Bowling Green to help Kent State earn a season sweep, batting a team-best .667 with a team-high eight hits to go along with three RBIs. Tallied three hits -- including a double -- in addition to driving in a run and scoring another as Kent State rolled to a 17-10 win over Bowling Green (5/13). He topped that effort the following day with a 5-for-6 effort with two RBIs and a run scored to help Kent State post an 8-0 shutout win.
• Earned All-MAC Tournament Team honors, driving in a team-high six runs in five games to help the Golden Flashes win their third straight conference tournament crown and advance to the NCAA Championship Regional for a third consecutive year. Went 3-for-5 with two doubles and a run scored as Kent State won its opening game of the tournament over Bowling Green (5/25), 6-2. Delivered his biggest hit of the season and the knockout blow to Eastern Michigan (5/28), launching a grand slam in the bottom of the seventh to help muscle Kent State into the MAC Championship Game with an 8-0 win.
• Helped Kent State earn its biggest victory in program history, going 2-for-4 with two RBIs to help Kent State earn a 7-5 win over then-No. 5 Texas on its home field in the NCAA Championship Austin Regional.
• Spent his summer competing for the Peninsula Pilots of the Coastal Plains League, starting 15 of the 18 games he played in and collecting three doubles.
2010 Freshman Season Highlights
• Started all 47 games he appeared in.
• Tied for the team lead in triples with four.
• Posted a .335 batting average with 61 hits, 38 runs, 12 doubles, two home runs and 34 RBIs for the season.
• Made his first collegiate start vs. Columbia (3/19) in the Coca-Cola Classic, collecting his first career single and scoring his first run in a 5-2 Kent State victory.
• Recorded 21 multi-hit games and posted at least three hits on five occasions.
• Collected three hits -- including two doubles -- and drove in a personal season-high three runs and scored another in a 6-5 win for the Golden Flashes against Youngstown State (3/24).
• Went 2-for-3 with a triple and two RBIs in a 14-4 Kent State win over Western Michigan (4/4).
• Tallied two doubles and scored a run as the Flashes defeated Eastern Michigan (5/29), 9-8, in the MAC Tournament to send Kent State to the conference title game.
Prior to Kent State
• Won four letters in baseball under head coach Lynn Grove at West Branch High School.
• Set nine records for the Warriors, including career records in runs, hits, doubles, triples, RBI, batting average, slugging percentage and home runs as well as most homers in a single season.
• Batted .590 with 12 home runs his senior season.
• Earned First Team All-Northeastern Buckeye Conference honors his senior year, second team his sophomore season and honorable mention his junior and freshman season.
• Also earned Mizuno All-Ohio Team and NBC Player of the Year selection.
• Played for the 1080 Media baseball team in Youngstown, which went 27-5 and finished as Youngstown Class B runners-up.
• Born Aug. 10, 1990.
• Son of John and Dorothy Campbell. Siblings are Rachel and Matt.
• Majoring in business management.