Women's Soccer Preview - Flashes Entertain IUPUI to Wrap Up Non-Conference
The Kent State women’s soccer team (5-2-0) concludes the non-conference portion of their schedule this weekend when the Golden Flashes play host to IUPUI Friday, Sept. 16 for a 4 p.m. tilt at Zoeller Field. Live stats for the contest will be available at kentstatesports.com at the start of the game.
Scouting the Flashes
• Kent State went 2-0-0 last week with a 6-1 victory at home against Youngstown State Sept. 9 before a 1-0 victory over Duquesne Sept. 11.
• Freshman Stephanie Haugh (Richmond Hill, Ontario) earned Mid-American Conference player of the week honors after scoring a pair of game-winning goals last week. Her scores last week were her first goals as a collegian.
• In the first release of the NCAA statistics Sept. 13, the Golden Flashes were ranked 64th in the nation scoring offense. Individually, sophomore Jessacca Gironda (Akron, Ohio) is ranked in the top 100 nationally in points and goals per game.
• With Kent State’s win over Duquesne, the Golden Flashes earned their fifth non-conference victory of the year; it’s the most non-conference wins for Kent State since the 1999 campaign, when the team also had five victories during the pre-conference schedule.
Scouting the Opponents
• IUPUI (1-3-2) has gone to overtime in their last three games, a stretch where the Jaguars have gone 1-0-2. In their last outing, IUPUI posted a 1-1 draw against Valparaiso Sept. 9. Taylor Heldorn has two goals and an assist to lead the Jaguars offensively.
All-Time Series: The Golden Flashes are 1-1-0 all-time against IUPUI. Kent State posted a 6-1 win during the 2002 season, while the Jaguars notched a 2-1 victory in 2010.
Kent State will host a pair of games next week to begin Mid-American Conference play when the Golden Flashes take on Miami (Ohio) and Bowling Green.